William L. “Bill” Pingry thumbnail

William L. "Bill" Pingry

January 19, 1930 - December 4, 2018

MUNCIE – William L. “Bill” Pingry, passed away peacefully December 4, 2018, in a short stay at IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital after about 6 months’ stay at Morrison Woods.
He was born to Harold and Dorothy (Dominick) Pingry on January 19, 1930 in Jackson Michigan. He had a younger brother Jack. They …READ MORE

MUNCIE – William L. “Bill” Pingry, passed away peacefully December 4, 2018, in a short stay at IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital after about 6 months’ stay at Morrison Woods.
He was born to Harold and Dorothy (Dominick) Pingry on January 19, 1930 in Jackson Michigan. He had a younger brother Jack. They moved to Muncie where he attended Jefferson Elementary, McKinley Jr. High and graduated from Muncie Central High School in 1948.
He was an exceptionally generous man who loved family, friends, sunshine, Dixieland Jazz, martinis, popcorn, and making people happy.
Bill was preceded in death by his parents, brother, and wife. He is survived by his three loving and eternally grateful children, Annette Weiner, Julia Fraser, and John Pingry, grandchildren Katie and Dan Weiner, as well as godchild Megan (Blake) Weinman, and many in-laws, nieces and nephews.
Bill graduated from Ball State Teachers College 1952 with a BS Degree in Education. While there, he met his wife, Mary Catherine “Kate” Hartman. They were married December 29, 1951 in Nappanee, Indiana. He was a member of Theta Chi Fraternity and named to The Blue Key Honorary Society.
Following graduation he was inducted into the U.S. Army. After Basic Training at Ft Knox, KY, during the Korean War, he was assigned to the 14th Armored Cavalry in Fulda, Germany, where he was joined by his wife. The unit’s responsibility was to guard the Fulda Gap at the border between East and West Germany. Attaining the rank of Staff Sergeant, he was Honorably Discharged in 1954.
In August, 1954, he was hired as a Sales Application Engineer by Maxon Premix Burner Co. He was transferred to the company’s Chicago office in 1956. In 1960 he returned to the Muncie office where he stayed until his retirement in as Senior Vice President in 1990. He was a lifelong member of Holy Trinity Lutheran Church where he served several terms on the church council, headed the building campaign in 1955, served as Treasurer and on the Board of Directors for the church foundation.
Bill was also a member of the Rotary Club, a life member of the Elks Club #245 and the Muncie Central Alumni Association, and received the honor of Sagamore of the Wabash. He served on the boards of several organizations including Maxon Corporation, Muncie Chamber of Commerce, Muncie Delaware Clean and Beautiful, Delaware County Historical Alliance and Muncie Central Alumni Association. Bill and wife Kate went to Ft. Myers Florida for part of each winter for many years. They also traveled extensively in Europe and the Caribbean.
Most of the above was written by Bill several years ago for his obituary.
Bill was a wonderful husband, father, uncle, in-law, mentor and friend. He will be sorely missed by his family and friends and many in the community.
A date for a celebration of his life will be announced later.
In lieu of flowers, memorial gifts may be made to Holy Trinity Lutheran Church Foundation, 900 W. White River Blvd., Muncie, IN 47303; “The Historical Preservation Fund “or “Muncie Boys & Girls Club Horatio Alger Fund” or “The Mary Kate Pingry Fund” at The Community Foundation of Muncie and Delaware County, P.O. Box 807, Muncie, IN 47308 or a charity of your choice.
The Meeks Mortuary and Crematory, Washington Street Chapel is in charge of arrangements and online condolences may be sent to the family at www.meeksmortuary.com.

HIDE

Life Event Timeline

Help tell the story of Bill by contributing to the Life Event Timeline. Upload the photo of an event...

Post an Event

Leave a Condolence

View All Condolences Post a Condolence
7